Transition ProgramFebruary 1, 2021 2022-09-02 21:15
Community partnering for a brighter future.
The mission of the Focus Academy Transition Program is to prepare each student for the most independent and satisfying adult life possible
This program builds on the philosophical approach of our High School program in that transition, life and employability skills training are combined with a continued and expanded focus on independent functioning skills, social competency, and social connection. Opportunities to continue to work on these all important life skills needed for future independence.
General Program Requirements:
- Program application must be completed
- Completed all high school requirements and deferred receipt of high school diploma
- Be between the ages 18-22
- Have an area of eligibility of Autism Spectrum Disorder, Intellectual Disability, or Other Health Impaired
- Have reliable transportation to and from Focus Academy
What Makes Focus Academy Transition Program Different:
- Program runs separate from the Focus Academy High School, while housed on the same campus
- A focus on teaching employability skills and soft skills necessary for a student to remain in future paid work opportunities
- Dedicated life skills and employability training classrooms
- Shared lunch and social time infused throughout the day
- Student transportation provided to/from some work sites
Our program is tailored to meet the independent functioning and social competency levels of each student. Therefore, opportunities vary based on individual student support needs.
What Do Parents Say? According to our annual parent survey, the overwhelming majority of Focus Academy families recommend Focus Academy and its programming.
"Focus Academy’s greatest strengths are the caring teachers and staff. The genuine concern for ALL students. "
"[My daughter] is very happy being at Focus and she loves all of her teachers. "
“Every aspect of Focus is amazing.”